Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Willing to work badly...




Once again, Julia Cameron has inspired , challenged and rescued me.
I'm reading her The Sound of Paper, and loving the simple profundity of her insights and gentle wisdom. She seems less pedantic than in The Artist's Way, which just got on my nerves when I first read it about five years ago.
Today, Julia helped me see that 'In order to work freely, we must be willing to work badly, and once we are, we are often able to do good work indeed.'
I don't think these are particularly 'good' pieces, but they are free and they are fun - I was playing with oil crayons in the first and bits and pieces from my collage box in the other two. There was no planning - which I often do with collage - it was all free flow...

8 Comments:

Blogger Shop girl said...

We all take a chance. I try not to think of what others do because they are doing such wonderful stuff. I think the art is just in the doing...what is art? I am a crafter, it brings me joy...if by chance it give others pleasure,Wow!
that is great.
Have fun...Mary (Idaho)

10:56 PM  
Blogger Lila Rostenberg said...

We must be willing to play, to show up and create...make "bad art" and suddenly it is "good"!
I need to get away from the computer and do art...so hard to leave these friendly "blogs", even for a bit!

10:18 AM  
Blogger Janice Ykema said...

the cat in the second sketch really tickles me.. It is a great character! .

Experimenting and playing is how we find out who we are... This week I worked for days on a picture.. (which is put aside till I can get a better perspective on it for now, cause right at this moment its very tired and overworked... ) I used a new paper.. I hated it.. kept trying to save it... It became work.>(experimenting) . I gave myself permission to drop it..(an experiment gone awry) and start something else.. and have fun... Fun is what its about.. and learning.. Just as lila and shp girl state... Keep up the good work... Dont be intimidated by others... more so.. inspired... figure out what you like and why... (hugs)

8:48 AM  
Blogger Shop girl said...

I love your face...nice to meet you. Mary

9:01 PM  
Blogger Cheryl Finley said...

Love your work...it's a fun journal of art playtime..very intriguing to view...and your willingnes to work badly!! Isn't it freeing? Looking forward to seeing more. And, thanks for your comments on my blog. : )
..I'll be back!

10:57 AM  
Blogger Cheryl Finley said...

By the way.. love the middle one..the cat especially!

10:58 AM  
Blogger Lina said...

Love these, it is so freeing to just create isnt it? Look forward to reading more of your blog!
Thanks for the comments on my blog as well.
Peace.

10:04 AM  
Blogger orion713 said...

How cool this work seems so free and fun!

6:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home